BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you in with loving-kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt...and go out to dance with the joyful." - Jeremiah 31: 3-4

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Random thoughts...

-It's really strange being a rarity. Not even a minority. A rarity! There are VERY FEW white people here in Kitale. It's interesting to be stared at as if you're some sort of celebrity.

-All kids are the same! No matter what country they were born in or what culture/religion/socioeconomic status they will grow up in, children are children and they love to be held and play and run around and laugh! I think that's awesome.

-Being a woman in this culture is tough. Especially being a white woman. It restricts a lot of what is safe for us to do and that can be very frustrating.

-It's hard to see the street kids in town. I want to help them but they don't want to help themselves so there's not much I can do. There's a lot of programs where they can get food and a place to sleep but they would rather live on the streets, beg for money and sniff their glue. Go to www.glueboys.com to learn more about these kids. Glue Boys is a documentary that was filmed right here in Kitale. Some of the boys in the video I have seen and spoken to. My heart breaks for them.

-As an intern, my experience has been very different than as just a visitor. As great as it was to come with a group for a short period of time, I'm liking the internship a lot more. I like that we're not rushed to fit everything into only 10 days. We have three whole months to see and experience everything.

-Adoption is still very heavy on my heart and I know that someday I will adopt a baby from Africa.

-Living in Kenya is easier for me than living in America. I don't know what that means and to be completely honest it scares me a little bit. I love my home and my family but I'd be lying if I said it won't be near impossible to leave here when that time comes.

3 comments:

  1. Love your random thoughts Steph...All true!

    Live in the day and enjoy each and every moment..and when the time comes for a new adventure, you will be ready! :)

    We ordered the glueboys video and will look forward to watching.

    Love you more each day!! I miss you so very much...especially our coffee talk at the kitchen table...

    Praying for more of Him in your life every day...

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to my reality steph! it is hard to leave. don't think about leaving yet. just enjoy each and every day!

    i am praying for you daily and looking forward to joining you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stephy,
    Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you. I hope that you will be a light to those kids and really let God's will be done through you, which I am sure you are. I miss you and will keep you and the little Kenyans in my prayers.
    Love,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete